Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Kaleidoscope

The kaleidoscope is one of my favorite pieces of glass, next to Carl Zeiss that is. I'm working on developing a way to make images with my kaleidoscope with both still photography as well as video. I collect kaleidoscopes and when one my favorite ones broke I was bummed. Then in this great class I am taking called "Blackbox" I repurposed the broken kaleidoscope and created what I call the kaleido-cam. Blackbox is an ACT Lab class in the RTF department that is a great place to be creative.




Kaleidocam from christina burke on Vimeo.

ACT Lab is short for Advanced Communication Technologies Laboratory. The philosophy behind it is, "The ACTLab is a program, a space, a philosophy, and a community," according to the website actlab.utexas.edu. It is a new media initiative that breeds creative thought and critical problem solving ability. Their motto is "Make Stuff." I particularly appreciate this considering I spend most of my days and nights, not making pictures, but instead reading and absorbing theory and non-fiction writing.

The ACT Lab was created in the early 90's by Allucquere (Sandy) Stone and others. Stone is credited with developing transgender theory and opening the minds of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment